Who Can Help?

Arkansas Attorney General SealIn some instances, the Arkansas Attorney General’s Office is only the first stop for Arkansans seeking assistance from the State or other governmental entities. The primary restriction placed upon the Attorney General’s Office by Arkansas state law is that the Attorney General is prohibited from the private practice of law (Ark. Code Ann. § 25-16-701).


  • Arkansans who need private legal advice should contact private legal counsel. The Arkansas Bar Association and the Arkansas Access to Justice Commission are resources that will help direct Arkansans to licensed, private attorneys.
  • Arkansas’s 28 elected local prosecuting attorneys have authority to pursue and file criminal charges. More information on prosecutors is at arkpa.org.
  • Ethical complaints about attorneys or judges may be directed to the Supreme Court Committee on Professional Conduct (for attorneys) , or the Judicial Discipline and Disability Commission (for judges), by accessing courts.state.ar.us.
  • Ethical complaints against other public officials should be directed to the Arkansas Ethics Commission at arkansasethics.com.
  • For issues concerning child support, contact the Office of Child Support Enforcement at www.childsupport.Arkansas.gov. Persons needing assistance with child custody or visitation issues should consult a private attorney.
  • For Medicaid fraud issues, contact the Office of the Medicaid Inspector General at omig.arkansas.gov.

Regardless of the restrictions under state law, the Attorney General’s Office will help Arkansas residents contact the agencies they need in order to receive assistance. For Arkansans with questions not addressed here, call (501) 682-2007 or email.