Frequently Asked Questions

  • Can the Attorney General provide legal advice or interpret the law?
    Because the primary restriction placed upon the Arkansas Attorney General’s office by State law is that the Attorney General is prohibited from the private practice of law, the Attorney General cannot provide legal advice (Ark. Code Ann. § 25-16-701).

    Arkansans who need private legal advice should contact private legal counsel. Arkansas Legal Services, the Arkansas Bar Association, and the Arkansas Access to Justice Commission are resources that help direct Arkansans to licensed, private attorneys.

    Arkansas’s 28 elected local prosecuting attorneys have the authority to pursue and file criminal charges. More information on prosecutors is at

    See the guide to Small Claims Court.

    Read more about law interpretation on our Opinions page and search Arkansas Code online.

  • Where do I go for assistance regarding child support?
    Unlike other attorneys’ general offices, the Arkansas Attorney General’s office does not handle issues relating to child support. Child support is handled by the Office of Child Support Enforcement. The Problem Resolution/Customer Service office may be reached by calling (501) 371-5349.

    Persons needing assistance with child custody or visitation issues should consult a private attorney.

  • Where can I file a complaint against law enforcement?
    If you feel that local law enforcement officers have not fulfilled their duties, you may wish to contact the agency’s police chief, sheriff, Office of Professional Standards, or prosecuting attorney. You may also wish to file a complaint with the Federal Bureau of Investigation by calling (501) 221-9100 or the U.S. Department of Justice by completing an online contact form at or by calling (888) 848-5306.

    If your complaint involves the Arkansas State Police, you may wish to contact the Arkansas State Police Office of Professional Standards by calling Lieutenant Marcus Daniels at (501) 618-8210.

    The Attorney General does not have oversight over local or state law enforcement agencies.

  • Where can I file a complaint against an attorney or judge?
    Complaints against attorneys may be filed with the Arkansas Judiciary’s Office of the Committee on Professional Conduct. Grievance forms are also available on the Arkansas Judiciary website. The office can be reached by calling (501) 376-0313.

    Complaints against judges may be filed with the Judicial Discipline and Disability Commission by calling (501) 682-1050 or completing the complaint forms online.

  • How can I file an ethical complaint?
    Ethical complaints against other public officials should be directed to the Arkansas Ethics Commission.

  • Where can I get clarification on Arkansas gun laws?
    Questions concerning concealed carry license may be directed to the Arkansas State Police by calling (501) 618-8000.

    For questions concerning the restoration of gun rights, you may contact Governor Sarah Huckabee Sanders’s office by calling (501) 682-2345 to obtain forms to begin the process.

  • How can I propose legislative changes?
    If you would like to advocate for or against the legislation, you may wish to submit your concerns to members of the General Assembly. Contact information for state senators and representatives are linked at

  • Where can I report issues with the Department of Human Services?
    Contact Constituent Services by calling (501) 320-3961 or (501) 682-8650 regarding your questions and concerns.

  • Are there resources for crime victims?
    The Arkansas Crime Victims Reparations Program, administered by the Arkansas Department of Public Safety, provides financial compensation to victims who have suffered personal injury or death as the result of violent crime. Eligible victims may qualify for up to $10,000 for medical care, counseling, lost wages, funeral expenses, crime scene clean up and loss of support for dependents of deceased victims. Victims suffering catastrophic injuries may qualify for up to $25,000. Eligible victims may be awarded reparations regardless of whether there has been an arrest or conviction related to the crime. Additionally, the Sexual Assault Reimbursement Program allows evidence to be collected after a sexual assault has been committed without the victim bearing the burden of the expense, and it pays for ambulance services and medical or legal examinations.

    Victims may apply for compensation by submitting an application. Applications are available from the Arkansas Department of Public Safety and Arkansas’s 28 elected prosecutors. These programs are funded by fees collected from criminal offenders and a federal grant through the Victims of Crime Act, administered by the U.S. Department of Justice. Call (800) 448-3014 for more information.

State Directory